Have you noticed just how many skinny pills and powders there are out there – all trying to convince us they will help us lose any stubborn extra weight? As with any supplement and medication, they may not suit you at all. So, in this article, we’ll take a closer look at weight loss and how peptides can be one way to support it.
- What peptides are
- Possible benefits of peptide supplements in general
- Which peptide supplements can support your weight loss
What Are Peptides?
You may remember learning in far-distant biology classes that peptides are short chains of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds. They’re found naturally in the body and are essential for many biological processes such as
- production of hormones, enzymes, and other proteins,
- support for your body’s response to stress, and
- helping in your body’s fight against infections to support healing.
But are there any benefits to taking peptide supplements?
Possible Benefits of Peptide Supplements in General
It makes sense that with peptides doing so much good work in your body, they’re often used as active ingredients in peptide supplements for:
- Muscle growth
- Boosting energy
- Muscle repair
- Improving skin elasticity
- Weight loss
- Treating high blood pressure
Some of the most popular peptides you find in supplements often have multiple benefits:
- Collagen (for skin, nail, hair health, and weight loss)
- Creatine (for building muscle)
- Sermorelin (a man-made peptide for muscle building and fat loss)
- Ipamorelin (for weight loss and burning fat)
- Follistatin (for muscle gain and weight loss)
- Semaglutide (for reducing glucose levels and weight loss)
So Which Peptide Supplement Can Support Your Weight Loss?
This is where we dive deeper into peptide supplements that are more focused on helping with weight loss! And how they work.
AOD 9604 …
… stimulates the pituitary gland, which helps increase metabolism and burn fat. It’s one of the ways you can get rid of high fat levels because it breaks down fat and lipids and inhibits fat accumulation (lipogenesis).
… blocks the slowing down of metabolism (which is a natural process as we age), thus enhancing the metabolism of fat cells, and supporting weight loss. It can be a great treatment for reversing obesity, preventing lipogenesis, and increasing cell energy.
CJC-1295 and Ipamorelin …
… are often used together for their anti-aging and fitness benefits. They
- promote fat and weight loss,
- promote muscle gain, and
- boost energy.
Semaglutide and liraglutide …
… are both effective for
- reducing appetite,
- improving blood glucose,
- increasing energy levels, and
- weight loss.
The Promising Effects of Semaglutide
GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) is a hormone released in response to food intake and is involved in glucose homeostasis (bringing your sugars into balance again).
Semaglutide is a GLP-1 analog. It’s FDA-approved and helps your body produce more insulin when blood sugar levels are high.
GLP-1 was first discovered in the late 1980s. And in the early 2000s, semaglutide was developed for treating Type 2 diabetes.
Since then, healthcare providers have used semaglutide in clinical practice and found it to be effective in reducing blood glucose levels and improving glycemic control.
Semaglutide Supplement for Weight Loss
Semaglutide can do wonders in treating Type 2 diabetes – but it’s also shown promising results for treating obesity and weight loss.
In a 68-week clinical trial, following overweight or obese adults taking semaglutide and liraglutide, there was an average of 15.8% weight loss for semaglutide and 6.4% for liraglutide!
By mimicking the effects of GLP-1, peptides help to regulate appetite by sending signals to the brain to suppress appetite and reduce hunger.
You would have semaglutide (under the names Ozempic, Wegovy, or Rybelsus) as a weekly injection over four weeks, with the possibility of increasing the dose every four weeks.
Are Peptides the Holy Grail for Weight Loss?
Peptide supplements can significantly accelerate your weight loss and give you the much-awaited results you’re hoping for. That’s because they cause you to feel full for much longer than your normal GLP-1 does.
In addition, your blood sugar stabilizes more quickly after a meal – it’s the sudden lurch after a sugary high that causes you to want food again!
But – and it’s a big BUT! – peptide supplements are not the only ingredient in the weight loss recipe.
At Evexias Denver, we prefer to take a more holistic approach to weight loss and look at what’s causing your weight gain. It could, for example, be a result of hormone imbalance due to menopause.
Always Look at the Root Cause of Weight Gain!
When you’re faced with extra weight that just won’t come off, you can be tempted to look for a quick fix.
You might also start wondering if a healthy body weight means you have to be skinny.
However, it’s possible to deal in a different way with weight gain that seems to be out of your control.
Together with your healthcare practitioner, you can look at various aspects of your life and lifestyle to find the root cause and chart the best course for you.
This might include reviewing issues you have such as:
- Eating more calories than you need
- Not getting enough exercise
- How your body stores and uses energy (from a genetic point of view)
- Medications you may be taking that have weight gain as a side effect
- The stress you’re under – which stimulates cortisol, increases appetite, and leads to emotional eating. Cortisol is a wrecker of weight goals! So watch your stress levels
- Hormone imbalance weight gain, such as you may experience during pregnancy or menopause
- Your metabolism slowing down as you age, or for any other reason – which can cause weight gain
Are Peptide Supplements Right for Me?
We understand that losing any unhealthy extra fat and weight is not only about your overall body health but also about you looking and feeling good in your skin.
And the only way you can decide whether peptides will help you on that journey is by talking with your health provider!